The World Health Organization (WHO) says its two-man advance team left for China Friday to establish the ground work for an investigation into the origins of COVID-19 that sparked the global pandemic.
In a virtual briefing at WHO headquarters in Geneva, spokeswoman Margaret Harris said the two experts are specialists in animal health and epidemiology and they will work with Chinese scientists to determine the scope and itinerary of the investigation.Independent WHO Panel to Investigate Global COVID-19 ResponseWHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says it is time for ‘self-reflection’
She said that would involve negotiations on issues including the composition of the full investigation team and what skills are needed.
The virus is believed to have emerged in a wholesale market in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, since then closed, after jumping the species barrier from the animal kingdom to infect humans.
Harris said the scientists want to determine in which species the virus originated and how it got to humans. She said it has long been assumed the virus originated in a bat, but they would like to know if it went through another, intermediary species.
At a briefing in Beijing, a foreign ministry spokesman confirmed the WHO team was on its way to China and said China had invited the investigation “to contribute to a more effective global epidemic response and global public health cooperation.”
The WHO mission comes just days after the United States formally withdrew its support from the organization after claiming the agency mishandled the outbreak and showed deference to China.
The Nine Journalists of a Catholic Radio who Took Refuge in the Forest in Northern Mozambique Are Safe and Sound
- Nigerian Men’s Involvement Key to Stopping Gender-Based-Violence
- COVID Effect: LGBTQ Abuse in Kenya
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Radio Host, Charge Delivery Driver For ‘Secession’
- Ukrainian Doctors Say Situation Critical After COVID-19 Spike
- Airlift Emergency Aid to Liberia
- The Nine Journalists of a Catholic Radio who Took Refuge in the Forest in Northern Mozambique Are Safe and Sound
- 184 Children Have Tested Positive For COVID-19 At Zimbabwe’s John Tallach High School
- Covid App Mania Grips U.S, World
- Planned Theme Park Poses Risks to Cambodia’s Angkor Wat, Culture: Residents, NGOs
- Arzoo Raja, the High Court Closes the Case: Catholic Child Bride to Stay in Pakistan Shelter Home
- High-Profile Mourners Pay Their Respects To Serbian Patriarch
- Turkey Pardon History
- UNHCR Provides Assistance to Euthopian Refugees in Sudan
- Pricey Red Spice Gains Popularity Among Afghan Farmers
- Asylum Seekers Evacuation from Libya to Rwanda
Subscribe Our You Tube Channel
Fighting Fake News
Crime and More WorldFollow
It’s Our Job to Tell Stories Relating to Crime Against Humanity and Human Interest Stories Across the World Without Any Ideological Preference-No Left or Right
We as Professional Journslists with experience over 15 to 20 years offers Copy Editing Services for small or mid sized publication/digital publication around the World with effordable prices.We have a capable team to support you.For details contact us Shanthanu Bhattachaarya
Consulting Editor crimeandmoreworld.com Email:editor
@crimeandmoreworld.com or Whatsapp +919073399779 or Telegram +919875416249