Details

Death Toll Rises in Mogadishu Blasts

Mohamed Olad Hassan

Photo Courtesy:Mogadishu Update/Twitter

The death toll from Friday’s car bomb blasts in Somalia’s capital has climbed to 52, according to admission records from five hospitals.

Somali security officials who responded to the attack say four militants entered the Sahafi Hotel and went to the roof, firing on people down below. They said the security forces eventually killed the assailants and rescued dozens of people from hotel rooms.

The militant group al-Shabab, which has waged an insurgency for more than 10 years claimed responsibility.

The blasts, which occurred within minutes of each other, targeted Mogadishu’s Sahafi Hotel and its surroundings. The hotel is near the headquarters of the Somali Police Force’s Criminal Investigations Department (CID).

Doctors and administrators of the five hospitals in the city that mainly treat the victims of gunshots and explosions — Medina, Darul Shifa, Erdogan, also known as the Digfer, Kalkaal and Somalia Sudanese Hospital — put the death toll at 52 and say 106 are wounded.

Members of the United Nations Security Council said in a statement that “terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.” It added that “acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed.”

Doctor Mohamed Yusuf, the director of Medina hospital, the biggest emergency care facility in the city, told VOA that 63 blast victims had been admitted.

“We received 63 victims. Thirty-two were brought wounded, but three of them died in the hospital and the 31 others were already dead and we transferred them to the morgue,” he said.

Yusuf said patients wounded by gunfire and explosions had been occupying almost 100 percent of Medina’s beds, though recently the number has dramatically dropped due to a decline in the number of blasts and a longer timeframe between some of the larger bombings.

“The number of receptions for the wounded people has been recently unusual, but we always remembered that we were in Mogadishu and things can happen at any time,” stated Yusuf.

Mohamed Osman Abas, director of Darul Shifa hospital, said 26 critically wounded people were being treated at that facility from the three car bomb explosions and gunfire that rocked the city Friday.

A witness who was inside the hotel at the time said on condition of anonymity that the front of the building was destroyed by the force of the explosions.

Former Somali lawmaker Abdi Barre Jibril said women and children were among the victims. “Two women and an eight-year-old child were among the dead,” he told VOA. (Source: VOA NEWS)

0

Related Article

Posted on: Saturday, April 20, 2019 | By: crimeandmoreworld - Copy Editing Desk

‘Afghanistan Has Changed’: Post-2001 Generation On Prospects Of Peace With Taliban

Talk of peace in Afghanistan is ramping up, with the United States and the Taliban negotiating and Kabul preparing to host hundreds of ethnic, religious, and tribal leaders to settle on a road map for ending nearly 18 years of war

Posted on: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 | By: crimeandmoreworld - Copy Editing Desk

Students, Teachers Avoid Cameroon Border Schools 5 Years after Chibok Kidnappings

This week marks five years since Boko Haram militants kidnapped hundreds of Nigerian schoolgirls from the village of Chibok. The kidnappings spread fear across the border in Cameroon, where hundreds of schools closed. Authorities have since ordered schools to reopen, but many students and teachers refuse to return

Posted on: Saturday, April 6, 2019 | By: crimeandmoreworld - Copy Editing Desk

Boko Haram Militants Target Civilians in Niger’s Diffa Region

U.N. officials say the spike in violence and displacement is related to increased activity by Boko Haram or Boko Haram-affiliated armed groups in the Lake Chad Basin. They report 88 civilians were killed last month alone, compared to a total of 107 civilian deaths during all of 2018

Posted on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 | By: crimeandmoreworld - Copy Editing Desk

Clashes underway between militants, security forces close to Nangarhar airport

Provincial governor’s spokesman Ataullah Khogyani said the attack was launched earlier today and a standoff is underway between militants and security forces

Posted on: Monday, February 18, 2019 | By: crimeandmoreworld - Copy Editing Desk

Report: Iraqi Forces Sexually Abuse IS Female Relatives in Mosul

The mistreatment of the so-called IS families is also justified by many Mosul community members as a fair punishment, the report claimed

Top

Privacy & Cookies: This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy more information

Privacy & Cookies: This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Close